Tuesday 28 February 2012

Feb 28 - Dubai and Ritchie Bros.

Ralph went off to work today, to help with the Ritchie Bros. auction here in Dubai, yesterday we drove to the sale site and checked it out.  He met some of the auctioneers here at our hotel, and we had supper with a couple of really nice guys last night. They should be back soon.  I'll put on some photos of the sale site.

We were told that the lower the number on the license plate, the closer the person who owns it is to the Sheikh and the Royal family.  We saw one yesterday "57", that's the lowest number we ever saw in our time here, thought the boys would appreciate that.




I went to some crazy beautiful malls in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.  The one today in Dubai has a ski hill for skiing, tobogganing, sliding and even walking through the snow. I didn't capture a veiled woman walking in the snow, somehow it doesn't match very well.  You rent the winter gear and head into winter, even though it's 25 C outside.  The shops were all fancy brand names, Rodeo Drive, Tommy H, Pierre Cardin, etc, so didn't do much shopping, just window shopping.  I later headed down to the gold souq, that was more my style, hopefully later I'll find the spice souq and the covered bazaar.  I took their really nice metro down to the souq's and en route I took a photo of the Burg Al Arab, the sail shaped hotel...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment